Senior Product Designer
||Our client, a leading global player in the housewares sector based in Farnborough, is looking for a Senior Product Designer reporting to the Design Manager.
- Undertake design and product development projects under the direction and management of the Design Manager.
- Working across all manual appliance brands within the product portfolio as the ‘go to’ person for technical design concepts.
- Working with design colleagues and brand product managers encapsulate their functional and product operation intent within NPD projects ensuring maximum ‘buy in’ to all concepts and intended uses.
- Ensuring successful flow and inclusion of technical application across the wider team.
- Coaching and mentoring fellow Designers to improve general understanding of technical features and benefits across product categories.
- Cataloguing and sharing where necessary previous learnings for ease of knowledge transfer.
- Manage the design, development and implementation of NPD projects.
- Raise Critical Path Analysis (CPA) for each specific project.
- Maintain and communicate changes through regular communication channels and review forums.
- Ensure that assigned projects are conducted in order to establish a ‘best value’ return on investment whilst working within parameters determined through design and conceptual product briefs.
- Work to support the Packaging Technologist in developing suitable and desired pack solutions.
- Report back on the progress of all the projects at monthly NPD meetings.
- Work closely with engineering, quality and where necessary vendors to ensure outstanding product performance and legislative conformance.
- Mentor and coach fellow Product Designers in the integration of technical requirements and product performance within their own projects and across all appropriate brands.
- Document and make readily available an archive which contains learnings from previous projects and from across all brands which can be easily communicated across the general Design Team
- Ensure that the design & technical status of projects is well documented and published in order that Brand Product Managers and other business areas fully understand progress.
- Work closely with the China Office / Project Engineer to ensure that design & development projects are manufacturable, processed to specification, to pre-defined performance parameters on cost and on time.
- Generate and maintain feedback documents relating to sampling processes and evaluations.
- Assist in responses required to any ongoing quality issues including the implementation of any necessary ECN / design changes.
BACKGROUND, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in design and development with aptitude for problem solving and ability to drive change.
- Ideally from an in house manufacturing environment with exposure to supplier liaison and manufacturing systems, mostly gained in housewares or related industries.
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Product Design, Industrial Design or Engineering.
- A solid understanding and experience of ‘design for manufacture’, using plastics, wood, steel and similar substrates. Ideally with a technical understanding of injection moulding & metal fabrication techniques.
- Some experience of working directly with Far East manufacturers.
- Must be proficient in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Full understanding of the latest CAD architecture.
- Working experience of SolidWorks.
- Fully conversant with Microsoft Office software.
- Good presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of working in a culture geared towards team work combined with the ability to work in an environment where a hands-on approach to the business is a prerequisite.
- Some cross functional experience / contacts: ability to specify and manage constructional packaging related to new product introductions.
- Some experience of managing junior members of a team would be preferable.
- Must be able to undertake international travel if required to do so for business purposes.
All applications will require BOTH a portfolio AND hand drawings
Index Recruitment is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
If you would like to apply please send your CV to email@example.com together with your salary requirements, notice period and reasons for leaving past and present employment.
"Due to the high volume of applications we currently receive, we are unable to respond to all candidates. If you do not hear from a Consultant within 5 working days unfortunately you have been unsuccessful on this occasion".
Tuesday 8th August 2017